Wimbledon – Day 5
Another great day of tennis as the first half of round 3 was played on day 5. Jabeur and Muguruza was the first match on Centre court. Both ladies were seeds so it was a big match for both. Muguruza took the first set 7-5 and the form she was in, looked like she would take the match. Jabeur though had other thoughts as she took the next two sets and booked her spot in the 2nd week. Home boy Evans was next on centre and he was up against in form Korda. Korda took the first set and Evans took the second. The third set was a see-saw set as momentum switched almost every game. Korda managing to take the important third set 6-3. Korda then raced to a 4-2 lead in the 4th set. Evans wasn’t done yet though as he fought back to 4-4. Korda though kept cool and took the 4th set 6-4. He is into the 4th round. Last match on was Shapovalov vs home favourite – Andy Murray. Shapovalov was too good for Murray though as he took the match 6-4; 6-2; 6-2.
Onto the fantasy league…3 male picks fell on day 5. They were Evans, Schwartzman and Fognini. 4 ladies picks also fell and they were Mertens, Rogers, Stephens and Muguruza.
Nutty Choice 2 still leads and they once again open up their lead to 8 points. ‘Victory Vikings’ move up an impressive 23 spots to 2nd place. ‘Pits of the World’ move up to 3rd as well. This continues to be a tight battle for the win.
- Rublev(5) beat Fognini(26) – 6-3; 5-7; 6-4; 6-2
- Fucosovics beat Schwartzman(9) – 6-3; 6-3; 6-7(6); 6-4
- Korda beat Evans(22) – 6-3; 3-6; 6-3; 6-4
- Samsonova beat Stephens – 6-2; 2-6; 6-4
- Jabeur(21) beat Muguruza(11) – 5-7; 6-3; 6-2
- Keys(23) beat Mertens(13) – 7-5; 6-3
Matches to watch:
- Sevastova vs Krejcikova(14) (15:50)
- Barty(1) vs Siniakova (17:55)
- Auger-Aliassime(16) vs Kyrgios (15:50)
- Federer(6) vs Norrie(29) (16:00)
- Cilic(32) vs Medvedev(2) (17:40)
Jared matriculated in 2020 from Wynberg Boys High School in beautiful Cape Town, South Africa. His passion for tennis afforded him the opportunity of travelling to Europe. He is a quizmaster and a fantasy organiser.