Wimbledon – Day 4
Another great day of tennis! Day 4 was also another day which saw some more seeds dropping out. The big names included Svitolina the third seed and Sakkari the 15th seed. A quick recap on what happened on the 2 main courts. Barty the 1st seed was on first against Blinkova. Barty not looking her best but she played the big points well as she beat the Russian 6-4; 6-3. Coco Gauff was next on against Vesnina. Gauff just like Barty won 6-4; 6-3. The young star making it to the 3rd round again. Could she go further than her 2019 performance of 4th round. Roger Federer was last on centre court and he was up against Gasquet. The first set was tightly contested with both players having opportunities to break. A tiebreak was needed to decide the set. Federer playing a flawless tiebreak and took the tiebreak 7-1. This allowed him to play more freely and in the second set looked like his good old self. He won the 2nd set 6-1. He continued playing aggressive and managed to get the vital break at 3-3. Federer is the oldest man in 46 years to reach the 3rd round of Wimbledon.
Court 1 began with home favourite, Norrie, up against Australian, Bolt. Norrie went down 3-1 in the 1st set, but then won the next 5 games to take the 1st set 6-3. From then on he looked way to strong for Bolt and took the next to sets comfortably. Medvedev, the 2nd seed, was next on and he was up against young star, Alcaraz. Both players playing an exciting game of tennis but Medvedev proving to consistent and ultimately to good for Alcaraz. The last match on Court 1 was between 12th seed Azarenka and Cirstea. Cirstea took a tight first set, winning it in a tiebreak. Azarenka hit back and took the 2nd set 6-3. This one was going the distance. Cirstea eventually taking it 6-4. Another ladies seed falls.
Onto the fantasy tournament. Day 4 saw the loss of 4 male picks: Nishikori, Querrey, Dimitrov and Monfils. Day 4 also the loss of 7 ladies picks: Svitolina, Azarenka, Sakkari, Vondrousova, Kasatkina, Kostyuk and Giorgi.
‘Nutty Choice 2’ still lead but their deficit of 12 points has gone. ‘Top Turtles’ are tied with them at the top with 95 points after 2 rounds. ‘Lance’s Team’ is just 1 point behind the leaders in third with ‘Pits of the World’ just 1 point behind third place. This is looking even closer than the French Open. Here is the leaderboard after Day 4 and 2 rounds of tennis.
Some Results from Day 4
- Garin(17) beat Polmans – 7-6(3); 6-2; 2-6; 7-6(5)
- Martinez beat Monfils(13) – 6-3; 6-4; 4-6; 7-6(5)
- Thompson beat Nishikori – 7-5; 6-4; 5-7; 6-3
- Fritz(31) vs Johnson – 6-4; 7-6(4); 4-6; 6-7(4); 6-4
- Bublik beat Dimitrov(18) – 6-4; 7-6(6); 7-6(4)
- Muchova(19) beat Giorgi – 6-3; 5-7; 6-3
- Sevastova beat Kostyuk – 1-6; 6-4; 6-3
- Linette beat Svitolina(3) – 6-3; 6-4
- Kerber(25) beat Sorribes Tormo – 7-5; 5-7; 6-4
- Ostapenko beat Kasatkina(31) – 6-1; 3-6; 8-6
- Cirstea beat Azarenka(12) – 7-6(5); 3-6; 6-4
Some Matches to Watch:
- Evans(22) vs Korda (15:45)
- Shapovalov(10) vs Murray (17:45)
- Rogers vs Rybakina(18) (14:00)
- Samsonova vs Stephens (14:00)
- Jabeur(21) vs Muguruza(11) (14:30)
- Mertens(13) vs Keys(23) (17:15)
Jared matriculated in 2020 from Wynberg Boys High School in beautiful Cape Town, South Africa. His passion for tennis afforded him the opportunity of travelling to Europe. He is a quizmaster and a fantasy organiser.