French Open – Day 9
The Quarter-finals have been set. Swiatek is the last top 10 seed left at the French Open and she is the only lady in the quarter-finals to have won a grand slam. Could we see another first time champion here at Roland Garros? Day 9 saw the big 2, Djokovic and Nadal, survive scares. Djokovic managing to come back from 2 sets down against Musetti and Nadal having to break Sinner to hang in, in the first set. Nadal eventually winning in straight sets. Kenin, the 4th seed, lost against 17th seed Sakkari in 2 quick sets. Krejcikova beat Stephens which means that she is in the quarter-finals in singles, doubles and mixed doubles. She did however lose in the on day 9 in her mixed doubles quarter finals.
Onto the Fantasy Tournament. Day 9 saw the loss of 3 male picks and 2 female picks. These picks included: Kenin, Stephens, Sinner, Musetti and Federer. No team has officially been eliminated from the tournament, but there are a few teams hanging on by 1 player. Well done to all the teams for making it to the quarter-finals.
We have a new leader!!!! ‘Oh My Hat’ has taken the lead away from ‘Ronan the Man ‘on day 9. How important could this lead be? Can they hold on? ‘Ronan the Man’ now in 2nd, 5 points off the leader and ‘Lorna Forbes’ is in 3rd just 7 points off the lead. ‘Romain Soula’ is currently getting the last prize as he is sitting in 4th place, 5 points more than 5th. Here is the leaderboard after Day 9.
Match results on Day 9:
- Krejcikova beat Stephens – 6-2; 6-0
- Gauff(24) beat Jabeur(25) – 6-3; 6-1
- Sakkari(17) beat Kenin(4) – 6-1; 6-3
- Swiatek(8) beat 18 year old Kostyuk – 6-3; 6-4
- Schwartzman(10) beat Struff – 7-6(9); 6-4; 7-5
- Djokovic(1) beat Musetti – 6-7(7); 6-7(2); 6-1; 6-0; 4-0 ret
- Nadal(3) beat Sinner(18) – 7-5; 6-3; 6-0
Quarter Finals to Watch:
- Zidansek vs Badosa (12:00)
- Rybakina(21) vs Pavlyuchenkova(31) (13:15)
- Zverev(6) vs Davidovich Fokina (16:00)
- Tsitsipas(5) vs Medvedev(2) (21:00)
Jared matriculated in 2020 from Wynberg Boys High School in beautiful Cape Town, South Africa. His passion for tennis afforded him the opportunity of travelling to Europe. He is a quizmaster and a fantasy organiser.