French Open – Day 6
The first half of round 3 matches played today and it was another great day of tennis at this years French Open. Day 6 saw more seeds fall…the third seeded Sabalenka lost to the 31st seed Pavlyuchenkova. This means that out of the top 10 seeds in the ladies draw, only seeds 4,5,7 and 8 remain. Serena Williams won 4 straight games from 4-2 down to make sure she won in straight sets over fellow American, Collins. Azarenka made light work of Keys as she continues to impress. The last ladies match of the day did not disappoint. Badosa was playing Bogdan. Badosa lost the first set 6-2 but got an early break in the second set and was serving for the set at 5-4. She couldn’t close it out and found herself 5-6 down and a match point down. She managed to save it and get the set into a tiebreak. She went on to win the tiebreak and they were off to a one set shoot out. Bogdan continued to run everything down, 2 and a half hours in, and managed to get the break to put herself 4-2 up and 2 games away from a memorable victory. Badosa had other ideas as she won 4 games on the trot to book herself into the 4th round. What a match from both players!
Onto the fantasy league. Day 6 saw 3 male picks go out and and 3 ladies picks go out. Isner, Opelka and Ruud were the three males to fall and Sabalenka, Keys and Kasatkina were the 3 ladies picks to fall.
Another exciting day of tennis means another exciting day for the leaderboard. “Ronan the Man’ continues to lead but his lead is just a singular point over ‘Servivors’. While those to scrap it out, don’t rule out ‘Cranky Kermit’, ‘Romain Soula’ or ‘Dropshots’. The top 7 are separated by just 9 points. The battle for the first 4 positions is going to go down to the last match for sure. At the other end of the leaderboard, the battle for last spot is also heating up. ‘Frogs First’ has managed to get off the bottom for the first time in a while overtaking ‘Barnard’s Pick’. Can ‘Barnard’s Pick’ hit back on Day 7.
Here is the leaderboard.
Some results on Day 6:
- Zidansek beat Siniakova – 0-6; 7-6(5); 6-2
- Pavlyuchenkova (31) beat Sabalenka (3) – 6-4; 2-6; 6-0
- Badosa beat Bogdan – 2-6; 7-6(4); 6-4
- Davidovich Fokina beat Ruud(15) – 7-6(3); 2-6; 7-6(6); 0-6; 7-5
- Garin (22) beat Giron – 6-1; 5-7; 6-2; 6-2
- Tsitsipas (5) beat Isner (31) – 5-7; 6-3; 7-6(3); 6-1
Some matches to watch on Day 7:
- Schwartzman(10) vs Kolschreiber (11:00)
- Cecchinato vs Musetti (11:00)
- Alcaraz vs Struff (12:15)
- Nadal (3) vs Norrie (14:15)
- Stephens vs Muchova (18) (11:00)
- Krejcikova vs Svitolina(5) (12:00)
- Kenin(4) vs Pegula(28) (13:00)
- Linette vs Jabeur (25) (14:15)
- Sakkari(17) vs Mertens(14) (14:15)
- Kontaveit (30) vs Swiatek (8) (16:00)
- Gauff (24) vs Brady (13) (16:15)
Jared matriculated in 2020 from Wynberg Boys High School in beautiful Cape Town, South Africa. His passion for tennis afforded him the opportunity of travelling to Europe. He is a quizmaster and a fantasy organiser.